Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
In outer space, but on the farm as well
Israeli robot arm can lend a handThe MASR multi-link arm-robot, developed by researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, operates like a traditional snake robot, which is generally equipped with multiple motors.
However, now there is a new robot, using only two motors: one that travels along the arm to get the gripping mechanism to the right location, and a second that rotates the joint that needs to be flexed.
“This unique minimalistic configuration, which can be applied to any serial robot with two or more links, reduces weight, size and cost,” said Zarrouk. It allows a robotic manipulator to achieve a wide range of movements using few activators, or motors.
Timesofisrael.com explains how one flaw of this robot is its speed. Time is not an issue in space, but it is for fruit picking, another application the robot could be used for. To be commercially viable, a robot should be picking fruit at a speed of some 3 seconds per fruit. The researchers have only just completed the second prototype of the arm-robot and have not yet timed it picking fruit. However, because of the light weight of the robot’s arms, one vehicle could be equipped with multiple arms, which would speed up the process.
Publication date: 3/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: