Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Made from renewable materials and biodegradable:
New alternative to the plastic bag at SPAR AustriaStarting immediately, SPAR is testing a new variant of the reusable carrying bag throughout all of Austria. The SPAR Natur* pur bio reusable bag made of renewable GMO-free raw materials is biodegradable and was developed and produced by an Austrian biopolymer expert. Overall, the volume of reusable bags at SPAR increased by eight percent last year.
The new SPAR Natur* pure reusable bag is made from renewable raw materials and is compostable at the end of its long life. The material was developed by the Austrian weforyou-Group and the bags are produced in socially correct and fair way, in-house.
The proportion of reusable shopping bags is constantly increasing at SPAR. Last year, around eight percent more reusable bags were sold. If sufficiently informed, customers therefore rely on environmentally friendly alternatives instead of conventional plastic bags. Now, SPAR is expanding the range of reusable bags and testing bio-disposable bags that do not use fossil-based plastic.
Sustainable fleece from plants
The innovative product of the Graz weforyou-Group is made from GMO-free sugarcane. The plants grow in Thailand and are processed in the weforyou plant into natural "bio-plastic" and subsequently into fleece. The bags are then hand-sewn by their own sewing department under socially as well as ethically correct conditions with special attention on fair wages, work safety and working hours of the workers. The bag is capable of taking great loads and will hold up for many trips to and from the shop. When it finally reaches the end of its useful life, it is compostable. "The certifications of 'Vincotte OK Compost' and 'seeded according to EN 13432' prove this. By paying close attention to sustainability for the environment and people, Greenpeace also recommends the bag as an ecological alternative to plastic bags," explains Armin Amirpanah, CEO of the weforyou-Group from Graz.
The SPAR Natur* pure organic reusable, bag made of renewable raw materials, costs 1.79 euros.
Publication date: 3/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: