Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Switzerland : 2017 Apricot production in the Valais plummets by 49,5%
The Valais Fruit and Vegetable Interprofession held their General Assembly on Friday and it was revealed that 2017 was affected by frost and drought. The weather was particularly hard on fruit production which plummeted by 26.8% in 2017. Apricot production particularly stood out with a -49.5% decreased followed by cherries (-34%), pears (-28.9%), strawberries (-26.9%), plums (-24.6%) and apples (-20.9%). Raspberries are the only fruit to have seen an increase in harvest (+1.1%). Gross yield for fruits in the Valais decreased by -26.2% from 71.5 million francs to 52.7 million.
Meanwhile, vegetable volumes "only" decreased by 4.3%. Salads were particularly affected (-10.8%), followed by carrots (-9.8%) and tomatoes (-6.8%). Most other vegetables saw an increase in production, such as cabbage (+93.8%), celery (+48.1%), courgettes (+11.5%) and broccoli (+10/1%). Gross yield for vegetables remained stable over the year, with a slight increase of just under 1%.
Publication date: 3/7/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: