- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Oil prices puts pressure on CMA CGM's EBIT, but they stay positive
- “We were about to start flying in iceberg lettuce”
- Mexico: Oaxaca has exported almost 6,000 tons of mango to the US
- "Price hike is unhealthy after this summer's dramatic tomato market"
- Alternative packaging for food made from palm leaves
Better water management creates more desirable walnuts
Bruce Lampinen, walnut and almond specialist at the University of California -Davis- told growers at the 49th annual Tri-County Walnut Day that optimum water management just prior to harvest will help them avoid pellicle colour issues.
Other factors that can affect walnut quality were mentioned, including leaf loss due to shading, disease or water stress, sunburn, hull damage by husk fly, disease, high temperatures during harvest, and soggy orchard floor conditions at harvest.
According to an article on westernfarmpress.com, colour problems in the 2017 walnut harvest, were the result of very high summer temperatures and irrigation issues. Sunburn was worse on trees in very wet soil conditions. There is not yet a clear connection between temperatures and pellicle issues when irrigation issues are also involved.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 Report: Chinese imports of U.S. tree nuts likely to decrease in marketing year
- 09/19/2018 Pecan Nation wants to put the pecan on the map
- 09/19/2018 More domestic pistachio promotions expected this year
- 09/17/2018 Difficult export environment for 2018 Oregon hazelnut crop
- 09/14/2018 Egypt: HB Dates adds three production lines
- 09/14/2018 "France: "Walnut harvest looks pretty good"
- 09/07/2018 Ukraine could become the world’s third largest walnut producer this year
- 09/06/2018 "China: "Chestnut production in Liaoning down by about 10-15%"
- 09/05/2018 Record-sized crop forecast for Oregon hazelnuts
- 09/03/2018 2018 California Walnut Objective Measurement Report
- 08/30/2018 Chile: Internal consumption of dehydrated plum grows
- 08/28/2018 'Costa Rican pineapple rings popular with health-conscious consumers''
- 08/24/2018 US Nuts - Less competition under new Japan Free Trade Agreements
- 08/23/2018 "Certificates are good, but you also have to prove yourself to your customers"
- 08/21/2018 Tariffs likely to challenge California almond market this year
- 08/17/2018 Ukraine: Walnut production up by 25% since 2010
- 08/15/2018 ‘Tariffs could cost US fruit and nut industries over $3 billion’
- 08/10/2018 Is the global market for nuts changing?
- 08/10/2018 Higher demand and volumes for Medjool dates in 2018/19 season
- 08/09/2018 Date crop on track for a good harvest