- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
Top 5 -yesterday
- Morocco/Spain: Increase in the number of Moroccan seasonal workers in Andalusia
- US trade with Southern Africa grows
- Opening of store "Les Comptoirs de la Bio" on Reunion Island
- Demand on cooking bananas about to increase sharply
- “Prices of cucumbers and iceberg lettuce rising, minimum prices for green bell pepper”
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Steady season for California cactus pear fruit
The fruit, also known as Opuntia ficus-indica or Indian Figs, are grown by D’Arrigo in Gonzales, CA approximately 20 miles south of their Salinas Headquarters. Competition meanwhile comes from Mexico and Italy. However, Besaw notes that typically the fruit season from those countries are during California’s off-season, though some growing seasons do overlap.
East Coast demand
Demand meanwhile for the fruit comes from mostly Eastern Canada and the East Coast including New York, New Jersey, Florida, Boston and some in the Los Angeles market. “It’s a popular ethnic item typically most popular amongst Italian and Hispanic communities,” says Besaw.
D’Arrigo has a puree processing plant in Gonzales, CA and they sell the magenta colored puree to companies that further process the puree to create cactus pear juices, sorbets, bar mixers, spirits, and cactus pear waters, including a newer product, CaliWater. “We’ve seen demand for our puree increase over the last few years,” says Besaw.
For more information:
Tel : +1-831-455-4316
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-14 "We have been able to reconcile the parts that make up this great industry"
- 2018-11-14 Colombian exotic fruits for European markets
- 2018-11-14 Zespri extending its season of SunGold kiwifruit
- 2018-11-14 Easy peel avocado launched in the UK
- 2018-11-14 Indian pomegranate exports likely to run into trade roadblocks
- 2018-11-14 Turkey: Fig exports have surpassed 300 million USD
- 2018-11-14 New Zealand case: International rip-off or innocent abroad?
- 2018-11-13 Mexico: Avocado producers on strike due to lower prices
- 2018-11-13 Ecuador can export tree tomatoes to the United States
- 2018-11-13 Good expectations for the export of fresh soursop from Ecuador
- 2018-11-13 NZ: Kiwifruit orchards being sold, Seeka selling $16 million worth of orchards
- 2018-11-13 Persimmon drying season in Japan: What a view
- 2018-11-09 Italy: Fresh pineapples from the DR thanks to air transportation
- 2018-11-09 Photo Report: Visit to French kiwi and kiwi berry growers
- 2018-11-09 Colombia: "We are increasing gulupa exports for Christmas"
- 2018-11-09 Ghana: Mango farmers unhappy with treatment by Exim Bank
- 2018-11-09 Harvesting season for Turkish pomegranates ending, weather has caused issues
- 2018-11-08 Reunion Island: expansion of the Victoria pineapple
- 2018-11-08 More international demand for produce from Saint Lucia
- 2018-11-08 Mexico: The avocado from Michoacan could miss the Super Bowl