Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tanzania: Record work being done on potato researchTanzania has excelled in experimental trials of high yielding and disease resistant potato varieties.
Three of 14 varieties brought into the country by the International Potato Centre (CIP) for field trials in the Lushoto district did very well; two of them will soon be released. These are the Unica, locally known as Mkanano, and the Shangii. They will be released to farmers for cultivation after proving resilience to climate vagaries. The third variety, Mvono, is now with the Tanzania Official Seed Certification Institute for performance trials in the southern highlands regions.
Potatopro.com reported on experimental trials and promotion of potatoes is one of the projects implemented within the East African region under the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) research programme on climate change, agriculture and food security (CCAFS).
Within the region, the global programme, launched in 2010, encompasses Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda and Ethiopia. In Tanzania, the focus is to develop more resilient potato varieties with higher yields.
Publication date: 3/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: