Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico: Michoacan leads organic mango production
In the last three years, Michoacan has positioned itself as the leading state for the production of organic mangoes, with the endorsement of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Xavier Chavez Contreras, the president of the Mango Product System in the state, said that the state currently has 3,500 hectares devoted to this product and that they expected to double the cultivated area because of the high demand for this organic fruit.
"The idea is to have 6 to 7 thousand hectares to meet the requirements of international markets," he said. Organic mango is 50% more expensive than the conventional fruit.
This would allow organic mango producers to increase their export and marketing volumes in the production's peak months, i.e. from February to June.
Michoacan is practically the only Mexican exporter that meets all the requirements to export conventional and organic mangoes to the United States.
Publication date: 2/27/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: