- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
- Increasing cases of bacteria in IQF vegetables is restraining growth of the market
- Chile: One third of processed potatoes are imported
- Arizona-based squash grower announces organic program
- Morocco/Spain: Increase in the number of Moroccan seasonal workers in Andalusia
- First highly specialized pear-processing plant built
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Bumper asparagus crop
Brandenburg's vegetable acreage reaches 6,800 hectares
As reported by the Office of Statistics Berlin Brandenburg, about a quarter of the companies worked according to the guidelines of organic farming. Here, too, the vegetable acreage increased noticeably, by 11 percent. The significant increase in acreage is mainly attributable to asparagus - with an increase of 536 hectares - and to carrots - with an increase of 271 hectares.
The increase in acreage was accompanied by an increase in the total amount of outdoor vegetables by around 8 percent to 92,200 tons. Nevertheless, extreme weather conditions with late frosts and heavy rainfall led to considerable yield reductions in many crops. Yields of white cabbage dropped by 79 percent, radish by 38 percent and onions by 27 percent compared to 2016.
With a cultivated area of almost 4,900 hectares, asparagus is the defining vegetable culture in the state of Brandenburg. As a result of the increase in acreage, the largest harvest recorded so far since 1991 -at just under 22,000 tonnes- is also the largest total crop yield recorded since 1991. At the same time, the yield of 56.6 dt/ha was approximately at the level of the six-year average from 2011 to 2016.
The production of pickle cucumbers, which is traditionally important for Brandenburg, fell by almost 40 hectares to 460 hectares. This continued the trend of recent years. Nevertheless, the yield increased by 5.5 percent to 677.5 dt/ha, thus achieving a total crop of 31,200 tonnes, comparable to the previous year.
The Brandenburg greenhouse vegetable production was cultivated on 73 farms, on a total of 57 hectares. The largest shares were accounted for by tomatoes (34 hectares), cucumbers (9 hectares) and peppers (7 hectares). The harvest increased by a quarter compared to 2016, to 18,700 tonnes. For cucumbers, the yield increased by 20 percent to more than 4,800 dt/ha. Here, individual farms benefited from excellent growing conditions, using modern climate control systems and carbon dioxide fertilizer systems.
Source: Statistics BB
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-15 Italy: Outlook for the courgette campaign
- 2018-11-15 Michigan grower welcomes average year for turnips
- 2018-11-15 “Difficult start to Breton cauliflower season”
- 2018-11-15 Italy: Sardinian spiny artichoke campaign has started
- 2018-11-15 Cuba will resume hot pepper exports
- 2018-11-15 Balanced potato and onion market, below average carrot harvest
- 2018-11-15 "Few consumers still grate horseradish themselves"
- 2018-11-14 “Prices of cucumbers and iceberg lettuce rising, minimum prices for green bell pepper”
- 2018-11-14 China: Winter stock of Chinese cabbage enters the market
- 2018-11-14 "Consumption of cauliflower is growing in France”
- 2018-11-14 Green beans gear up for Thanksgiving
- 2018-11-14 Spain: COAG proposes contracts to set fixed vegetable prices
- 2018-11-14 Spain: Almeria taking advantage of Morocco's lower zucchini production
- 2018-11-14 "Jade cherry tomatoes enter harvest season, sales volume is stable"
- 2018-11-14 Celery supplies good ahead of Thanksgiving rush
- 2018-11-14 Victorian veg makes a comeback
- 2018-11-13 Brussels sprouts see sharp increase in demand pre-Thanksgiving
- 2018-11-13 Convincing your Christmas guests to eat sprouts
- 2018-11-13 Italy: Lower quantities and higher prices for courgettes
- 2018-11-13 Peru: Inauguration of asparagus processing plant in La Libertad