- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
South Africa: How has the drought affected Western Cape farmers
Agricultural water is allocated to individual farmers annually on the basis of crop type and area planted. It is given for use if and when the farmer chooses, during and after the growing season.
There's a real risk that the water shortage could see farmers' yields decimated during this growing season which is from September to March for irrigated crops, and from May to October for rain fed crops. The long term impact could also be disastrous. Consecutive loss-making years could bankrupt farmers leading to many abandoning agriculture entirely.
Allafrica.com reports on how Cape farmers really have no other choice than to adapt to the water shortage. The main water saving measures include mulching -very much suited to smaller farms-, revisiting the design and planning of irrigation systems, restricting irrigation to the root zone -often via drip irrigation- and the use of netting.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 China: 6600 square meter plant factory constructed in Chongqing
- 09/21/2018 Colombian woman arrested for coordinating shipments of cocaine hidden in fruit
- 09/21/2018 Map of Africa based on population
- 09/21/2018 United Fresh appoints McDonald’s supply chain leader to Board of Directors
- 09/21/2018 Currency crisis unfolding – Will it catch up to the US?
- 09/21/2018 WTO members demand more clarity on US farm spending
- 09/21/2018 League of Legends’ latest mascot is a giant, talking cabbage roll
- 09/21/2018 Measure taken to keep South Australia fruit fly free
- 09/21/2018 Fresh processor introduces retail packaging featuring TV show branding for preschoolers
- 09/20/2018 US: Agri losses from Florence will be extensive
- 09/20/2018 'South Africa intent on expanding fresh exports to Russia'
- 09/20/2018 Chinese fruit, vegetable, and flower production annually increases
- 09/20/2018 China hits back at Trump: Tariffs on $60 billion of US goods
- 09/20/2018 South African berry and citrus farms introduce comic contracts
- 09/19/2018 New Zealand fears for world trade in wake of Trump's tariffs
- 09/19/2018 US-China trade war offers chances to Malaysian exporters
- 09/19/2018 ‘Afghanistan to export goods via Lapis Lazuli trade route in the near future’
- 09/19/2018 Sri Lanka rupee hits record low of 166.00 per US dollar
- 09/19/2018 ‘Agri renaissance possible for Western Cape’
- 09/19/2018 Some 35 place names in Iceland