- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Arizona's Leafy Greens industry is ready for a safe and successful harvest season
- First Colombian avocados arrive on the Saudi Arabian market
- Supplies even of domestic organic persimmons
- Technological greenhouses: the winter tomato harvesting has started
- A Panamanian fruit export company makes its way in China
'Taco Friday' continues to boost avocado sales in Sweden
"The avocado is one of the most popular products in the Swedish Fruit & Veg department. Avocado demand continues to increase and is very popular in Sweden. We have the 4th highest consumption in Europe. For ICA it is our 7th largest category and we have doubled our sales in 10 years," shared Maria Wieloch from ICA.
High demand in other markets have caused prices to rise, but Maria said that this hasn't had a significant effect on Swedish buying, although more consumers tend to go for loose avocados compared to packed due to the lower price point.
ICA's main avocado suppliers are Spain, Israel and Chile during the winter months, followed by Peru and South Africa during the spring/summer. Despite there being a gap period, which can bring some quality issues, the retailer said that they have not seen an increase in complaints.
Last spring, ICA announced a campaign to use laser labelling for some of their organic fruits, including avocados. When asked how this campaign was going, Maria confirmed; "Unfortunately we have stopped the laser labelling program for avocados. The mark on the avocado was sometime hard to read and was not visible enough for the cashiers, who sometimes rang up organic avocados as conventional, which is not optimal for order forecasts. We are continuing with the laser programs for other products, such as sweet potatoes and kiwi, and have been seeing some nice results."
For more information:
ICA Sverige AB
Tel: +46 (0)768 – 03 10 49
Fax: +46 (0)42 – 39 18 69
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-15 China: Price of wax gourds increased
- 2018-11-15 Brazil authorizes entry of Peruvian pomegranates
- 2018-11-15 Costa Rica: Avocado producers and Government prepare National Avocado Plan
- 2018-11-15 Spain: Pitaya cultivation gaining ground in Malaga
- 2018-11-15 China: Pomelo price drops by over 60%
- 2018-11-15 California bitter melon still on the move
- 2018-11-15 “Sales will start when the Greek kiwifruit is out of the market”
- 2018-11-14 "We have been able to reconcile the parts that make up this great industry"
- 2018-11-14 Colombian exotic fruits for European markets
- 2018-11-14 Zespri extending its season of SunGold kiwifruit
- 2018-11-14 Easy peel avocado launched in the UK
- 2018-11-14 Indian pomegranate exports likely to run into trade roadblocks
- 2018-11-14 Turkey: Fig exports have surpassed 300 million USD
- 2018-11-14 New Zealand case: International rip-off or innocent abroad?
- 2018-11-13 Mexico: Avocado producers on strike due to lower prices
- 2018-11-13 Ecuador can export tree tomatoes to the United States
- 2018-11-13 Good expectations for the export of fresh soursop from Ecuador
- 2018-11-13 NZ: Kiwifruit orchards being sold, Seeka selling $16 million worth of orchards
- 2018-11-13 Persimmon drying season in Japan: What a view
- 2018-11-09 Italy: Fresh pineapples from the DR thanks to air transportation