- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- ‘We call on Russia to resume imports of Belarusian mushrooms’
- London: Market trader fined for selling rotten fruit with incorrect labelling
- China: Successful meeting to link up Guizhou chilli pepper marketing and sales
- Kenya: Market sought for purple passion fruit
- "Finger potato fills market gap in the northern region in winter"
Top 5 -last week
- Mexico: Jalisco, one of the main producers of Persian limes
- “Our onions will fill the gap that Holland and Poland have left behind”
- Kroger: leadership shuffle and consolidation of Roundy's and Mariano's divisions
- Colombian woman arrested for coordinating shipments of cocaine hidden in fruit
- AU: Odeum Farms helping to restore confidence in WA's strawberry industry
Organic area reached 13.5 million hectares
European organic market grew by double digits in 2016
Also in 2016, the European organic sector experienced strong growth in terms of area, producers, and markets.
Almost 14 million hectares of farmland are organic in Europe – Spain has the largest area
In Europe, 13.5 million hectares were organic in 2016 (European Union: 12.1 million hectares). With more than 2 million hectares, Spain continues to be the country with the largest organic area in Europe, followed by Italy (1.8 million hectares) and France (1.5 million hectares).
In 2016, almost 0.85 million hectares more were reported compared with 2015
Click here for a larger image.
Organic farmland increased by almost one million hectares
The organic land increased by almost one million hectares, representing an increase of 6.7 percent in Europe and 8.2 percent in the European Union. Growth was higher than in 2015 and substantially higher than in the first years of the current decade. In 2016, Italy reported over 300’000 hectares more than in 2015, and France reported over 200’000 hectares more.
Liechtenstein is the country with the highest organic share of the total farmland in the world
Organic farmland in Europe constitutes 2.7 percent of the total agricultural land and 6.7 percent in the European Union. In Europe (and globally), Liechtenstein has the highest organic share of all farmland (37.7 percent) followed by Austria, the country in the European Union with the highest organic share of agricultural land (21.9 percent). Nine European countries reported that at least 10 percent of their farmland is organic.
Organic producers on the rise
There were more than 370‘000 organic producers in Europe (European Union: almost 300'000), and the largest numbers were in Turkey (almost 68'000) and Italy (more than 64'000). The number of producers grew by 7 percent in Europe (10 percent in the European Union) in 2016.
Strong growth of processors and importers
There were almost 66’000 processors in Europe and almost 63’000 in the European Union. Almost 4’700 importers were counted in Europe and almost 4‘000 in the European Union. Particularly strong growth was noted for importers, which increased by double digits in both Europe and the European Union. The country with the largest number of processors was Italy (almost 17‘000), while Germany had the most importers (almost 1'600).
Retail sales surpass the 30 billion euro mark in the European Union
Retail sales in Europe were valued at 33.5 billion euros (30.7 billion euros in the European Union). The European Union represents the second largest single market for organic products in the world after the United States.
Double-digit growth rates of retail sales in 2016
The European market recorded a growth rate of 11 percent (European Union: 12 percent), which is the second time retail sales have had a double-digit growth rate since the financial crisis. Among the key markets, the highest growth was observed in France (22 percent). In the decade 2007-2016, the value of European and European Union markets has more than doubled.
European consumers spend more on organic food
In Europe, consumers spent 41 euros on organic food per person (European Union: 61 euros). Per capita consumer spending on organic food has doubled in the last decade. The Swiss spent the most money on organic food (274 euros per capita).
Organic market share now approaching the 10 percent mark in some countries
Globally, European countries account for the highest shares of organic food sales as a percentage of their respective food markets. Denmark has the highest organic share (9.7 percent) worldwide. Individual products and product groups hold even higher shares. Organic eggs, for instance, constitute more than 20 percent of the value of all eggs sold in several countries.
The survey on organic farming in Europe was conducted by FiBL and AMI. The FiBL data collection activities were carried out under the framework of the global survey on organic farming supported by the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), the International Trade Centre (ITC), NürnbergMesse, and IFOAM – Organics International.
Dr. Helga Willer, Communication
AMI – Agricultural Market Information Company
Dreizehnmorgenweg 10, 53175 Bonn, Germany
Telephone: +49 228 33805-0
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 02/28/2018 ‘We want to be Europe's leading supplier of organic apples’
- 02/28/2018 "Demand for organic lemons is on the rise"
- 02/27/2018 Organic Hawaiian Turmeric season underway
- 02/27/2018 Mexico puts pressure on US organic citrus market
- 02/27/2018 “Our philosophy is to represent kiwifruit as a basic product”
- 02/26/2018 New harvest of South African organic pumpkins
- 02/26/2018 Study compares organic and conventional strawberries
- 02/26/2018 Organic papaya program opened the doors to a full organic line
- 02/23/2018 European organic market grew by double digits in 2016
- 02/23/2018 Indonesian organic farming: reducing dependence on imported pesticides and fertilizers
- 02/23/2018 US demand grows strongly for organic sweet potatoes
- 02/22/2018 Transforming Germany’s cities into organic food gardens
- 02/22/2018 Cool Texas winter ensures sweet organic grapefruit season
- 02/21/2018 Norma awarded best German organic retailer in 2018
- 02/21/2018 Photo report: Organic Route at Fruit Logistica 2018
- 02/20/2018 Italy: La Costiera organic Primofiore lemons
- 02/20/2018 Organic pumpkins to adopt laser labelling in Europe
- 02/19/2018 Chile: Demand for organic blueberries increases every year
- 02/16/2018 US: More plantings of organic celery
- 02/15/2018 UK organic market has seen six years of steady growth