- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
14th International Berlin Potato Evening
The President of the World Potato Congress, Romain Cools, greets the guests of the 14th International Berlin Potato Evening. (Source: DKHV)
In his opening speech, DKHV President Thomas Herkenrath called for more attention to discussions on food and agriculture. "Potatoes are an important staple food and can best meet the high ethical demands of consumers and their desire for a healthy diet in cultivation, processing and distribution. The potato industry only has to present itself more self-confidently to the public in order to be perceived more positively by the consumer. This means listening carefully and analyzing the worries, fears and needs of our customers. We constantly have to question ourselves and openly and critically review our production processes in terms of sustainability and necessity. Even though our potato accounts for only a small share of the total agricultural production area, we also bear great responsibility for future generations," said Herkenrath.
For example, many of the DKHV in the past year member companies have focused their activities on the preservation of biodiversity. Flower beds, insect hotels or orchards are valuable measures for this purpose. Herkenrath pointed out that the potato industry has achieved great success: After years of declining potato consumption, sales increased by 1.6% in 2017 compared to the previous year. The work of Kartoffelmarketing GmbH -founded in 2015 through an initiative of the German Potato Trade Association- has contributed significantly to this. And it has taken many successful measures to promote the image of the potato. Herkenrath warmly welcomed the President of the World Potato Congress (WPC), Romain Cools. He was the first European to be elected to this position. The 10th World Potato Congress in Peru, the birthplace of the potato, has the motto ‘A glimpse into the future of the potato: biodiversity, food safety and business’ and offers a comprehensive professional, discussion and excursion program.
Cools cordially invited all European attendees to partake in this extraordinary event in the Cuzco region. And many guests expressed their anticipation of the 15th International Potato Evening, which will take place on February 5, 2019 in Berlin.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-16 Peru: Researchers developing potatoes resistant to disease and climate change
- 2018-11-16 North Carolina sweet potato grower promotes personnel
- 2018-11-16 US Onion Market and Crop Update for November 15, 2018
- 2018-11-16 Cyprus potato prices sky-rocketing due to shortages
- 2018-11-16 Potato variety Cold River Gold now available for consumers
- 2018-11-15 EU: Support for French fry producers against Colombia
- 2018-11-15 Canada: Short harvest causes potato shortage in Manitoba
- 2018-11-15 “Next week’s weather forecast puts pressure on potato supply”
- 2018-11-15 Egyptian spring onions more and more present in the German wholesale and retail trade
- 2018-11-15 Cameroon: scarcity and rising prices of onions
- 2018-11-15 France: "Difficult markets for Bintje"
- 2018-11-15 Germany: Potato harvest at historically low level
- 2018-11-14 Turkey: Potato harvest under way in various production areas
- 2018-11-14 “Europe must bare its teeth, and if needs be, bite"
- 2018-11-14 Chile: One third of processed potatoes are imported
- 2018-11-14 Potato harvest Lower Saxony at historically low level
- 2018-11-14 Turkey: Onion prices could skyrocket to 2 USD per kg in January
- 2018-11-13 Ireland: Soaring potato costs create pressure for food processors
- 2018-11-13 Ireland: Domestic potato market report
- 2018-11-13 Nigeria: Enugu onions dealers attribute high cost and scarcity to poor harvest