Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
- Spain: Report accuses major veg producer of severe environmental damage
- Grape grower-shipper opens new warehouse in Nogales, AZ
- One of New Zealand’s newest apple varieties starts Dazzling the world
- AU: New technology delivering biodegradable produce labels
- China: Dragon fruit prices down slightly compared to previous years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
University of Minnesota: Health benefits of pearsJoanne Slavin, Ph.D., R.D., professor of Food Science and Nutrition at the University of Minnesota, St. Paul, conducted a systematic review of biomedical and agricultural studies from 1970 to the present, in order to explore the potential health benefits and related health outcomes associated with pear consumption.
Pears are an excellent source of fibres and a good source of vitamin C for only 100 calories per serving. One medium pear provides about 24 percent of daily fibre needs. They are sodium-free, cholesterol-free, fat-free and contain 190 mg of potassium.
According to an article by deccanchronicle.com, Slavin found the body of evidence for a relationship between pear intake and health outcomes to be sparse and diverse and believes intervention studies with pears that show positive health outcomes, most likely improvements in gut health, are needed.
While the body of evidence connecting pear intake and health outcomes is still limited, USA Pears has been contributing to research efforts by commissioning independent studies to learn and affirm the heath attributes of pears.
Publication date: 2/14/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: