Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Trade agreements such as NAFTA seen as vital
US: Export challenges facing North Carolina sweet potatoesThe sweet potato is one of the three key North Carolina agricultural commodities (along with pork and tobacco) and the export market is vital for the success of all three.
At this year’s Ag Development Forum held during the Southern Farm Show in Raleigh, representatives of the three commodities outlined challenges each faces in the export market. The industry representatives all agreed that trade agreements such as NAFTA are vital.
Southeastfarmpress.com recorded some dismay at the Forum: “A trade war would be cataclysmic. We support modernizing our trade agreements, but we do not want anyone to do harm to us or the rest of agriculture.”
For sweet potatoes, loss of market share is a challenge. “It’s not because we can’t supply because we have the supply to be able to maintain our share. 40% of our product is exported so we must maintain that. The challenge that we have is technology in the hands of competitor countries. We must stay on top of our advancement in technology,” said Kelly McIver, executive director of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
Publication date: 2/14/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: