- General Manager Australia
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Сhief agronomist
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Sales Consultants Fertilizer - various European countries
- Product & Efficiency Manager - Role Based in Holland with regular trips to the UK
- Export Manager
- Highly Experienced Agribusiness Professional now Available
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Ohio State Capital research
US, Columbus: 1 in 3 people lacks access to healthy food
Lower income families have limited access to quality food, and sometimes don't even have enough to eat. Often they rely on food banks and other sources for food. For the study, the researchers surveyed more than 650 households in an economically and racially diverse area in Columbus, the state capital.
"Almost a third of the households were food insecure, and more than 16 percent had very low food security. This means they were skipping meals, at risk for experiencing hunger and probably missing work and school, and suffering health problems as a result," lead author Michelle Kaiser said in a university news release. "Previous estimates based on county-level census data would have indicated about half as many households were subject to this situation.”
According to health.usnews.com, the survey also found that 26 percent of households were not satisfied with their ability to buy food easily. Twenty-seven percent said it was hard to find fresh fruits and vegetables, though 86 percent said good nutrition was "important" or "very important".
Along with going to supermarkets, most people in the study regularly shopped for food at other stores close to home. Among those with food insecurity, many went to corner stores, drug stores and other places with limited food offerings, especially fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods.
While this study was conducted in Columbus, the findings likely apply to other U.S. cities, Kaiser added.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/15/2018 Wuppertal student develops 'storage ABC' for fruits and vegetables
- 10/15/2018 Pharr, Texas celebrates the start of the 2018-2019 produce season
- 10/15/2018 Deluge continues across south-east Queensland
- 10/12/2018 New US trade agreement just 'tip of the iceberg'
- 10/12/2018 'Germany dominating cucumber market, more so than The Netherlands'
- 10/12/2018 Value of Turkish fruit and veg exports so far this year exceeds 1 billion dollars
- 10/11/2018 US: Most agricultural commodities neutral to profitable
- 10/10/2018 Morocco, Russia willing to set up tripartite partnership with Africa
- 10/10/2018 Putin: Expand presence of Russian agricultural products on international market
- 10/10/2018 Most Nigerians do not meet fruit intake requirements
- 10/09/2018 Traditional shops fade - supermarkets rally
- 10/09/2018 World’s largest vertical farm to be built in South Dubai
- 10/08/2018 Turkey: East Black Sea region fresh fruit and vegetable exports to Russia
- 10/08/2018 "Agriculture delivers 77% of Moroccan exports to Russia"
- 10/08/2018 Peru added-value exports to Canada grew 12.2%
- 10/05/2018 Co-op farming model might strengthen America’s small farms
- 10/05/2018 Spain: Eight Andalusian horticultural firms seek opportunities in Hungary and Romania
- 10/05/2018 BLE Market Report: "The strawberry season is definitely over"
- 10/05/2018 China: How to solve the problem of unmarketable fruit?
- 10/05/2018 Serbia arrests 36 for alleged smuggling of EU fruit to Russia