Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
A new pear called 'Fred'Agroscope has launched a new pear called FRED® after 18 years of growing.
FRED® has several characteristics that are important to producers and appreciated by consumers:
- Added value for the producers: rapid start of production, high productivity, tolerance to fire blight
- Added value for wholesalers: very long shelf life with refrigerated storage and good transportability
- Added value for the consumers: juicy, tasty, slightly sour, firm and crispy pulp, can be taken everywhere.
Based on the cross-pollination (manual pollination) carried out in 2000, more than 1000 genotypes were planted and assessed for the quality of the trees and fruits. Of these, 20 selected genotypes were examined for their suitability for consumption, storability and susceptibility to fire blight. After carrying out trials at various locations in Switzerland and Europe, the newly bred variety CH201, which will be for sale under the FRED brand, was finally produced.
The pear is marketed under the registered trademark FRED® by Agroscope's partner VariCom.
For more information:
Schloss 1 / Postfach
8820 Wädenswil, Schweiz
T 0041 58 460 6196
F 0041 58 460 6341
Publication date: 2/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: