Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
A new pear called 'Fred'Agroscope has launched a new pear called FRED® after 18 years of growing.
FRED® has several characteristics that are important to producers and appreciated by consumers:
- Added value for the producers: rapid start of production, high productivity, tolerance to fire blight
- Added value for wholesalers: very long shelf life with refrigerated storage and good transportability
- Added value for the consumers: juicy, tasty, slightly sour, firm and crispy pulp, can be taken everywhere.
Based on the cross-pollination (manual pollination) carried out in 2000, more than 1000 genotypes were planted and assessed for the quality of the trees and fruits. Of these, 20 selected genotypes were examined for their suitability for consumption, storability and susceptibility to fire blight. After carrying out trials at various locations in Switzerland and Europe, the newly bred variety CH201, which will be for sale under the FRED brand, was finally produced.
The pear is marketed under the registered trademark FRED® by Agroscope's partner VariCom.
For more information:
Schloss 1 / Postfach
8820 Wädenswil, Schweiz
T 0041 58 460 6196
F 0041 58 460 6341
Publication date: 2/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: