Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
- Spain: Report accuses major veg producer of severe environmental damage
- Grape grower-shipper opens new warehouse in Nogales, AZ
- One of New Zealand’s newest apple varieties starts Dazzling the world
- AU: New technology delivering biodegradable produce labels
- Canada: Big data means big returns for farmers British Columbia
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Expansion of mini-cucumber area
First cucumbers of 2018 sold by BelOrta
Yesterday, BelOrta sold their first cucumbers of the new season. This year, the cucumber producers of BelOrta have once again devoted themselves to producing cucumbers of the best Flandria quality for consumers throughout Europe for the coming season.
More than 131 million cucumbers auctioned off in 2017
The first cucumbers from BelOrta in 2018 were sold at auction yesterday. They were supplied by Tuinderij Joosen from Brecht, and were bought by Swinnen from Zolder. In 2017, more than 131 million cucumbers were sold, a slight decrease compared to the year before. The cultivated surface for the 2018 season, 192 hectares, is also slightly lower than in 2017. Nevertheless, cucumbers remain one of BelOrta’s best products, they’re in third place in the top ten of vegetables.
Expansion of Donna mini-cucumbers
For the 2018 season, the area of mini-cucumbers will have an expansion, undoubtedly boosted by the growing success of snack vegetables. Donna mini-cucumbers have a fruit weight of about 130 grammes. The most important size is that of 30 pieces (four kilograms) per box or crate.
BelOrta has cucumbers available practically year-round, the month of December being the exception. Supply peaks traditionally start in March or April, and last until August. BelOrta cucumbers are grown sustainably and environmentally friendly according to Flandria standards.
For more information:
Tel: +32 (0)15/55.11.11
Publication date: 1/31/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: