Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Javelin watermelon can be an asset when bad weather hits AustraliaLast year’s unexpected Queensland downpours could have ruined melon grower Andrew Martens. … if it hadn’t been for the ‘Javelin’ breed of watermelon.
For Martens, co-owner of Marto Farms, a year's average rainfall falling on his watermelon crop within two months was unexpected. Unfortunately for the Bundaberg vegetable grower, this is exactly what happened in the latter half of 2017.
"Some watermelon varieties really don't cope well with such extreme rainfall," he said. "That's why we were extremely happy that we decided to grow Javelin again this year."
News-mail.com reported on the Javelin, Syngenta's latest watermelon, bred specifically for Australian growers and markets, featuring a shorter maturity than some traditional varieties.
"Because the variety has a faster maturity rate than others it allowed us to harvest a little earlier, which ended up making all the difference," Martens said.
Publication date: 1/31/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: