- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- China: Garlic planting area reduced in 2018, will garlic prices rise in 2019?
- New packaging solution for Sweet Heart grapes
- Costa Rican pineapple imports thin
- Frigga: New product launch conference at Hong Kong Asian Fruit and Vegetable Exhibition
- US (CA): Proposals open for 2019 specialty crop grants
Top 5 -last week
Spain: Cucumber melons already marketed in Huelva on a small scale
From the original mother plant, which he still keeps, he has already obtained about 1,000 identical clones. Of these, about 400 plants are being grown hydroponically in about 300 square metres, while the rest have been planted in gutters, in about 900 square metres, to be able to compare their vegetative and reproductive behaviours.
He has been harvesting fruits of those that were planted in pots in June 2017 since last October. "In these four months, I have probably harvested about 800 kilos; an average of two kilos per plant," says Garrocho. According to his calculations, one hectare devoted to the cultivation of cucumber melons can yield between 45,000 and 50,000 kilos if well-prepared. Those figures may possibly not be achieved in the first year, but during the subsequent years, I am sure that it will be possible, because it is a very vigorous and productive plant."
Although the plants are bearing fruits now in winter, Alberto Garrocho is convinced that the best time to harvest and market them is in summer, so he is conducting tests to find out the exact moment when they should be planted to be able to sell cucumber melons during the summer months. "It is, in my opinion, the perfect time to market them, especially because they are very juicy and refreshing," he stresses.
So far, only a few fruit stores in Palos de la Frontera are selling this new fruit, also known as sweet melon, which can have different sizes, although the ideal ranges between 125 and 130 grams. "I'm selling them for two Euro per kilo, and in stores the price amounts to around 3 Euro, and apparently, they tell me, it is being successful among customers," says the president of Freshuelva.
Another important characteristic of cucumber melons, according to Alberto Garrocho, is that they can be consumed as a fruit when ripe, but can also be used for salads when they are still green.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/17/2018 Peru exported more avos and mangoes in first eight months than in all of last year
- 10/17/2018 Peru: Important recovery of pineapple exports
- 10/17/2018 USDA appoints new board members to the National Mango Board
- 10/16/2018 Spain: Mangoes from July to December if the right varieties are planted
- 10/16/2018 Two new varieties in the EAT ME fresh kit range
- 10/12/2018 PapaMango, the Sicilian mango
- 10/12/2018 Bali: Ready to export dragon fruits
- 10/11/2018 ‘Avo prices have hit their peak, supply continues to skyrocket’
- 10/11/2018 Greece: “Our aim is to double our kiwi capacity”
- 10/10/2018 Turkey: Grower in Antalya switches from tomato and pepper to dragon fruit
- 10/10/2018 Vietnamese farmers victims of dragon fruit price drop
- 10/10/2018 Mexico: Mango exports to the US decline due to the rains
- 10/10/2018 Which demographics differentiate Hispanic avocado shoppers from Non-Hispanics?
- 10/09/2018 Chapaya - palm fruit with a meaty edge
- 10/09/2018 AU: Papaya growers experiencing record crop this spring
- 10/08/2018 Vietnam’s Central Highlands encouraged to expand avocado farming
- 10/05/2018 "Currently not much money to be made with pineapples and limes"
- 10/05/2018 Colombia: Hass avocados, Limes, and pineapples for Peru
- 10/05/2018 Thailand: New Zealand avocado season takes off
- 10/05/2018 Avanza to debut in China