- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Australia still has a problem finding fruit pickers
Fruit firms and growers in Australia have been unable to find sufficient pickers to help harvest ripened fruit. Local news agencies estimate that the labour shortage is in the thousands. The problem of uncollected and unprocessed fruit is spanning various fruit crops and Australian states, especially in the South.
Fruit Growers Victoria said that cherries and other stone-fruit crops were badly affected. In Tasmania, several hundred tonnes of fruit such as strawberries have been left to rot.
According to a foodnavigator-asia article, voices on the ground say the “Backpacker Tax” introduced by the Australian federal government at the start of 2017 has had a negative impact. This taxes pickers on working holiday visas at 15% from the first dollars earned.
Farmers and associations in both Victoria and Tasmania have expressed the desire to open a dialogue with government officials on the Seasonal Worker Programme, and hopefully to ring in some changes to regulation in order to deal with this seasonal crisis. Tasmania Primary Industries minister Jeremy Rockliff said the government was working closely with Fruit Growers Tasmania and relevant stakeholders to address the situation.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 Social Media: image cultivation for the noble tuber
- 10/19/2018 Dutch grower gets permission to grow medicinal cannabis
- 10/19/2018 Fairtrade sees 9% sales growth in 2017, exceeding €8 billion for first time
- 10/19/2018 ProducePay raises $14m Series B Funding to help farmers feed the world
- 10/19/2018 US: Spotted lanternfly found in Virginia
- 10/19/2018 Cheap and simple gadget makes grapes safer for kids
- 10/19/2018 ‘Southern Africa can expect to see erratic rainfall in 2018/19 agricultural season’
- 10/18/2018 Invasive beetle causes big problems on Hawaii's Big Island
- 10/18/2018 Spain: A new way to consume fruit on the go
- 10/18/2018 Washington sanctions Iranian banks, factories and mines
- 10/18/2018 AU: Scott Morrison reassures farmers that an "Ag Visa" is still on the cards
- 10/18/2018 More funding to tackle fruit flies in Australia
- 10/18/2018 Qatar - Researchers crack code deciding date palm gender
- 10/18/2018 Pests that spread citrus disease are key to cure
- 10/18/2018 South Africa - Almost R1 billion allocated to Western Cape drought relief
- 10/18/2018 Tearless onions... Who needs them?
- 10/17/2018 England's 50 largest built up areas
- 10/17/2018 Chloe Rutzerveld reflects on 4 years of her mini 3D printed vegetable garden
- 10/17/2018 Fuego volcano continues to threaten Guatemala
- 10/17/2018 Land reform - all over the world