Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- ďDrop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more moneyĒ
- ďWe recognize the different specifications our customers are looking forĒ
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Suriname to export tomatoes and peppers to the US
"Suriname is the first country in the Carribean to sign an agreement with Agro Business. This is a significant collaboration for our country," said District Commissioner (DC), Kenya Pansa, of the Brokopondo district, in an interview with the Suriname Herald.
She reached an agreement with her counterparts, Freddy DaniŽl of the Marowijne district and Margaretha Malonti of the Paramaka district yesterday. This goal of this joint effort is to export greenhouse crops to the United States. For now, only tomatoes and peppers are going to be cultivated. Other crops are, however, not excluded from future exports.
Pansa considers this project to be a massive step in the right direction, especially for horticulture, in her district. The three DCs also see this as an opportunity for reducing unemployment in their districts. They say they still have to have talks with the local community about the exact implementation of this project. According to Pansa, each district will get 15 hectares of greenhouses.
Malonti explained that, in her district, the road to Langatabiki is suitable for greenhouse cultivation. She, therefore, thinks the area will be chosen as the site where this project will be carried out. DaniŽl, on the other hand, is not yet sure where the best location is in his district to build the greenhouses.
The project will cost more than $15 million. If everything goes according to plan, it should begin within 60 days.
Publication date: 1/26/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: