Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Albanian consumers eat 33kg of onions per yearAlbanians love onions, so much so that it has been reported that they have the second highest onion consumption in the world, behind Libya. It has been estimated that Albanians eat 33kg of onions per capita, per year. Knowing this, it is probably not a surprise that Albanian producer/exporter Miron Topciu from L&B Fruits 2006 said that they export very few onions to other countries.
"We estimate that around 60,000 tons of onions are produced domestically, although there are no exact figures. Most of the production takes place in the SE region of Albania, which has a colder climate compared to the rest of the Balkans," Miron shared.
"Since onion consumption in Albania is so high, prices stay low and stable all year round."
Onion production runs from the beginning of autumn through to the middle of winter. A wide range of varieties are grown in the country, but the Stuttgart is the most produced, following by red varieties.
"There are plenty of interesting private initiatives in the Korca region and also a few supported by the Albanian Government where you can find massive cold storage facilities that collect and preserve onions," concluded Miron.
For more information:
L&B Fruits 2006
Tel: +355 693320403
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: