Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Albanian consumers eat 33kg of onions per yearAlbanians love onions, so much so that it has been reported that they have the second highest onion consumption in the world, behind Libya. It has been estimated that Albanians eat 33kg of onions per capita, per year. Knowing this, it is probably not a surprise that Albanian producer/exporter Miron Topciu from L&B Fruits 2006 said that they export very few onions to other countries.
"We estimate that around 60,000 tons of onions are produced domestically, although there are no exact figures. Most of the production takes place in the SE region of Albania, which has a colder climate compared to the rest of the Balkans," Miron shared.
"Since onion consumption in Albania is so high, prices stay low and stable all year round."
Onion production runs from the beginning of autumn through to the middle of winter. A wide range of varieties are grown in the country, but the Stuttgart is the most produced, following by red varieties.
"There are plenty of interesting private initiatives in the Korca region and also a few supported by the Albanian Government where you can find massive cold storage facilities that collect and preserve onions," concluded Miron.
For more information:
L&B Fruits 2006
Tel: +355 693320403
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: