- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Study: Extending shelf life of fresh produce by up to 4 days
- New Zealand: Pacific seasonal worker cap increased
- New measuring system for sugar content: "98% accurate and starting to show benefits"
- “Fresh produce firms think about succession but do not make enough plans"
- Ton Janssen stops as grower, but certainly not as promoter
India: Modifying banana genome
By using the CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing technique, moves can be made to improve nutritional quality, agronomically important traits as well as pathogen resistance in bananas, scientists claim.
Thehansindia.com reported on the research being done by a group of Indian researchers at the National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute in Mohali. The study results have been published in the Functional & Integrative Genomics journal. This is the first ever research study published on genome editing in any fruit crops from India, according to Dr Siddharth Tiwari, who led the research team.
CRISPR/Cas9 technology lets scientists remove or replace specific parts of DNA with precision. CRISPR stands for “Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats” which basically finds the targeted DNA. Cas9 stands for “CRISPR Associated protein 9” which is basically an endonuclease or a sort of ‘biological scissors’ with which DNA can be edited accurately.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-15 Chiquita shares its efforts of recycling bananas
- 2018-11-15 Honduras: Banana exports will exceed 32 million boxes
- 2018-11-15 Philippines: Banana industry lobbying South Korea for tax-free imports
- 2018-11-14 Banana exports from Laos to China fell by 184.04% this year
- 2018-11-14 Cameroon: Historic decline in banana exports
- 2018-11-14 Peru: BOS plans to export 8.2 million kilos of bananas
- 2018-11-14 China: Price of bananas in Nanning, Guangxi, slowly warms up
- 2018-11-14 Demand on cooking bananas about to increase sharply
- 2018-11-14 California: Chiquita renews contract with Port of Hueneme
- 2018-11-13 Saving the banana from worldwide disease
- 2018-11-13 Banana farm inspections to ease SPS compliance worries
- 2018-11-13 Philippines trails its peers in all crops except for pineapple and banana
- 2018-11-12 China: Large volume of bananas held up at Mengkang Port
- 2018-11-12 China: Banana price still high in November despite fluctuations
- 2018-11-12 Cameroon: significant decline in banana exports
- 2018-11-12 UK: Man accused of stealing over £120,000 worth of bananas
- 2018-11-09 China: Why the price of imported bananas suddenly increased by 20%?
- 2018-11-09 Mexico: Chiapas exports plantain to Canada
- 2018-11-09 Cameroon banana exports fell by 13,394t in September-October
- 2018-11-08 "Supplies of bananas good…for now"