- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- Russia: Mushroom complex with capacity of 2,000 tons to be built
- Morocco: Citrus exports generating 3 billion dirham yearly
- Poland: Opposition to plan to regulate apple purchasing contracts
- MSC: The 2020 sulphur cap is increasing operation costs.
- Investment at APM Terminals Gothenburg pays off, breaks records
Top 5 -last week
- "The fair's schedule will allow us to work and develop our winter programs"
- High quality Australian asparagus being produced this spring
- "Customers want to know what's in it and what's on it"
- California Giant focused on fostering collaborations
- "Cantaloupes not touching the ground, but there are plenty of yellow melons"
Publix classified as one of the world’s most admired companies
Amazon opens automated grocery store of the future
Fortune magazine ranked Publix No. 1 among the World’s Most Admired Companies in the food and drug stores industry category. The list of the World's Most Admired Companies is based on ratings calculated from thousands of business people within each industry. Survey respondents are asked to rate companies in their own industry on nine criteria, from investment value to social responsibility. Publix is privately owned and operated by its more than 190,000 employees, with 2016 sales of $34bln. Currently, Publix has 1,169 stores in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia.
Amazon's automated grocery store of the future opens
Amazon.com Inc. will open its checkout-free grocery store to the public after more than a year of testing, the company said, moving forward on an experiment that could dramatically alter brick-and-mortar retail. The Seattle store, known as Amazon Go, relies on cameras and sensors to track what shoppers remove from the shelves, and what they put back. Cash registers and checkout lines become superfluous - customers are billed after leaving the store using credit cards on file.
Germany's Tegut posts 1.2% sales increase in FY 2018
German retailer Tegut has posted a sales increase of 1.2% for 2017, surpassing the bln euro sales mark for the first time. The retailer posted full year sales of €1.008bln, up from €996mln in 2016. The retailer, owned by Switzerland's Migros Group, increased its productivity per unit area for the fifth period in a row (by 0.9%) and generated 25.4% of its sales from organic products. The retailer also performed slightly better than its parent company, which posted a 1% sales increase for full year 2017 yesterday.
India: Future Group in advanced talks to acquire Foodworld Supermarkets
Future Group is in advanced talks to acquire grocery retailer Foodworld Supermarkets, a deal that could give Kishore Biyani sway over a network of nearly 40 grocery stores in southern India, according to several people with knowledge of the matter. The supermarket chain was started nearly two decades ago as a division of Spencer & Co., part of the RPG Group, but became a separate company in 1999. It is now owned by Arko Enterprises and Health & Glow Retailing through a group of investors including veteran investment banker Hemendra Kothari and Rajan Raheja.
Russia: X5 Retail Group cannot open more stores in St. Petersburg
X5 faces a competition authority restriction in St. Petersburg as it surpasses the 25% market share in that city following the acquisition of 37 Okay supermarkets. X5 exceeded the competition authorities local market threshold of 25% in the retail market of St. Petersburg. The company expects, from the FAS, a ban on any new development in the region in 2018.
Finland: S Group 2017: +2.3% to €11.3bln
The retailer’s supermarket business, which includes operations in Finland, the Baltics and Russia saw comparative sales increase by 1.5% to €7.9bln. Commenting on the results, CEO Taavi Heikkilä said: ‘Our sales developed in fine balance in our different businesses throughout the year. In addition to department store trade and supermarket trade, there was particular growth at ABC stations … We will continue to ensure the price competitiveness of our grocery trade and to increase our high-quality product range. The Stockmann Delicatessen stores, which were transferred to some of our cooperatives at the turn of the year, have been well received’.
Russia: Magnit halts negotiations for ETK
Magnit stopped negotiations on the purchase of Krasny Yar and Baton networks in Siberia. The owners of ETK, which manages these networks, decided to continue their independent development. In the fall of 2017, Magnit filed an application with the FAS for the acquisition of 100% of ETK LLC, which owns the rights to lease 153 stores and three hypermarkets in the Krasnoyarsk Territory and Khakassia.
India: BigBasket to invest Rs500 crore to ramp up farmer sourcing, tech
Online grocery store BigBasket expects to spend up to Rs500 crore to strengthen its technology and back-end farmer supply chain as it looks to more than double its customer base to 20mln by 2020, a top company executive said. "We are focusing significantly on strengthening our back-end farmer supply chain programme called Farmer Connect. Presently we are working with 1,800 farmers, and we will bring about 5,000 farmers into our fold in a year's time," Hari Menon, co-founder and CEO of BigBasket, told PTI here.
ROK supermarket chain to close last store in China
E-Mart, a major supermarket chain from the Republic of Korea, will entirely leave the Chinese market following the closure of its last Chinese outlet next week. The outlet in Wuxi City in east China's Jiangsu Province is slated to be shut down on Jan. 31, according to a company announcement. Run by Shinsegae Group, E-Mart has been in China for 20 years. It used to have nearly 30 outlets in the country, but only six survived in 2017 due to tepid sales. The remaining five Chinese outlets have been sold to Thai conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group.
Supermarket chain Profi reaches 700 units in Romania
Profi, the biggest supermarket chain in Romania based on the number of units and localities covered, opened six new stores this week, thus reaching over 700 units. The group plans to invest over EUR 50mln this year in expanding its network, aiming to reach some 900 stores.
UK: Ocado to tap into Canada's online grocery market with Sobeys tie-up
Canada’s second largest food retailer Sobeys Inc has signed a deal to use the ecommerce platform of Ocado to expand its online business, sending shares in the British group up 10 percent on its latest international tie-up. Ocado, which has helped drive online shopping in Britain, one of the world’s most advanced ecommerce markets, has been to trying to sell its proprietary technology to international supermarkets in recent years, with new deals seen as key to the company’s valuation.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/17/2018 UK regulator: Sainsbury's-Asda probe will include Aldi, Lidl and Amazon
- 10/17/2018 Walmart expects fastest sales growth this decade
- 10/16/2018 12 supermarkets and hypermarkets operated by the Quattrucci family join the Casino Group
- 10/16/2018 Albertsons: For 3rd consecutive quarter ID sales grow while ecommerce soars
- 10/15/2018 Aldi and Dachser: UK and Irish partnership extended with 5-year deal
- 10/15/2018 Amazon: $80mln distribution center
- 10/12/2018 Asda: EAS refresh continues with Tyco Retail Solutions
- 10/12/2018 7-Eleven joins forces with foodora for convenient Canadian delivery
- 10/11/2018 ICA: September sales figures
- 10/11/2018 Meijer: sustainability moves awarded as both supplier and carrier
- 10/10/2018 Carrefour has acquired Planeta Huerto
- 10/10/2018 7-Eleven: 1st location at Texas Motor Speedway
- 10/09/2018 Vietnamese supermarket chain acquired by Vingroup retail arm
- 10/09/2018 Target: new private label
- 10/08/2018 Casino Group: new ‘Le 4 Casino’ concept store in Paris
- 10/08/2018 Costco: Q4 income rises
- 10/05/2018 Alibaba and Kroger ally to deliver China’s groceries
- 10/05/2018 Walmart selects Nielsen Brandbank for connected content partner program
- 10/04/2018 Albert Heijn: new service for post-vacation customers
- 10/04/2018 Kroger to trial grocery pick-up program at Walgreens stores