- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Cancer-fighting properties of avocado seeds
Two years ago, Dr. Bandyopadhyay realized there were no studies done on the chemical compound that make up the peel of the avocado seed, also known as the husk. When they did study this, the compounds they found are the same that are used to treat debilitating diseases, including cancer and heart disease, and to create a range of consumer products.
As positive as this sounds, Dr. Bandyopadhay and his team warn that there are other compounds in the husk listed as being carcinogenic and should it only be consumed after processing. “That is the main reason why the American Chemical Society, pointed out this research as groundbreaking,” Bandyopadhyay noted. “Because this research says that it’s not a good idea. Many good molecules are there, many bad molecules are there. So, do not take these peels like ‘as is.’”
According to a 13newsnow.com article, the publishing of their findings in the journal of the ACS last summer is an accomplishment Dr. Bandyopadhyay attributes to his students. With only 30 percent of their research on avocado seed husks completed, this team of UT-RGV researchers hope to continue breaking new ground.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/17/2018 Who needs botox?
- 10/12/2018 The Chiquita blue sticker turns pink for a good cause!
- 10/11/2018 Omani women use cherimoya to develop remedy against hair loss
- 10/11/2018 Horticulture initiative focuses on nutrients: "Healthy food makes you feel better"
- 10/08/2018 80% of retailers rally together to drive up veg consumption in UK
- 10/02/2018 Pumpkin donuts for Halloween
- 09/25/2018 Fruity beauty: Use of fruit in personal care products increases 10.7%
- 09/19/2018 ‘Agroecology can feed Europe pesticide-free in 2050’
- 09/19/2018 Cassava virus breaks out in Zambia
- 09/18/2018 Chiquita launches Pink Sticker program this October
- 09/14/2018 Tour de Fresh brings 46 more salad bars to U.S. schools in its 5th year
- 09/12/2018 Tomatoes could hold the key for infertility problems
- 09/06/2018 ‘French Fries: No. 1 vegetable toddlers consume’
- 09/05/2018 Trying fruit and veggie ideas in school lunches
- 09/05/2018 UK: 3.7 million children live in households that can't afford a healthy diet
- 09/04/2018 Camu-camu, an exotic fruit that could help tackle obesity
- 08/29/2018 "Agriculture must battle chronic disease"
- 08/22/2018 Strawberries to treat bowel disease?
- 08/22/2018 ‘Apples reverse ageing’
- 08/20/2018 Button mushrooms as treatment against diabetes?