- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- "Poland is a leader in conventional apples, so why not in organic apples?"
- Mushroom supplies tight in busy time of year
- Fedefruta visits the Chinese markets that receive Chilean fruit
- Moldova exporting apples to Saudi Arabia for the first time
- India: Kashmir Valley snow damage will influence apple production coming years
Croatia - the next big player in vegetable production?
“There is a lot of investment in primary production in Croatia and I hope that it will be recognized in the near future and that the import/export balance of agricultural products will change considerably in favor of exports. The recent funds have become significantly more accessible to producers in the last year, mostly thanks to the Minister of Agriculture, Tomislav Tolušić, who brought the EU funds closer to farmers, which is why I think we will start seeing the results in the near future.,” said a hopeful Obrovac.
Brana Ltd starting producing in 2005, shortly after the company invested in ULO cold stores for fruits and vegetables, which was a boost to the area’s agriculture.
“Our main production is peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini, and in the winter, when these vegetables are out of season, we grown lettuce. We produce Batavia lettuce in our greenhouses, which has a total area of around 20.000 m2. We have also been busy testing for future production with a few different varieties of Batavia, such as Tonale and Fabela form Vilmorin, Carditie and Sumitie from Rijk Zwaan, AS16 from Bejo and few more,” shared Obrovac.
The company’s total plastic production is around 40.000 m2, and the plan is to raise an additional 50.000 m2, with approximately 8 ha of open field production.
“Our main market for lettuce is the Croatian domestic market, with some exports to neighboring country Slovenia. We have good demand with solid prices and we hope that the prices will increase once there is less lettuce on the market,” Obrovac continued.
“Even though we only have exports going to Slovenia at the moment, we are in final negotiations for a joint venture with Italian company Ortoromi. With Ortoromi’s experience and expertise, I believe that we will be successful in developing year round lettuce production and that the final products will be recognized in the European market.”
For more information
Tel: +385 33 726 422
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-16 Russia: White cabbage prices up by an average of 20%
- 2018-11-16 High prices for cucumbers and aubergines
- 2018-11-16 Mexico wants to increase vegetable exports to China
- 2018-11-16 Mini cherry vine tomatoes at Penny in new Best Moments packaging
- 2018-11-16 Tomato suspension agreement between US Department of Commerce and Mexican tomato growers remains in effect
- 2018-11-15 Italy: Outlook for the courgette campaign
- 2018-11-15 Michigan grower welcomes average year for turnips
- 2018-11-15 “Difficult start to Breton cauliflower season”
- 2018-11-15 Italy: Sardinian spiny artichoke campaign has started
- 2018-11-15 Cuba will resume hot pepper exports
- 2018-11-15 Balanced potato and onion market, below average carrot harvest
- 2018-11-15 "Few consumers still grate horseradish themselves"
- 2018-11-14 “Prices of cucumbers and iceberg lettuce rising, minimum prices for green bell pepper”
- 2018-11-14 China: Winter stock of Chinese cabbage enters the market
- 2018-11-14 "Consumption of cauliflower is growing in France”
- 2018-11-14 Green beans gear up for Thanksgiving
- 2018-11-14 Spain: COAG proposes contracts to set fixed vegetable prices
- 2018-11-14 Spain: Almeria taking advantage of Morocco's lower zucchini production
- 2018-11-14 "Jade cherry tomatoes enter harvest season, sales volume is stable"
- 2018-11-14 Celery supplies good ahead of Thanksgiving rush