Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- Sinaloa mango pack-house opens for the season
- 45 double ripening chambers in new Lidl Moerdijk distribution centre
- TAPKIT: 500m2 self-assembly hydroponic greenhouse
- Chilean Hortifrut interested in buying the largest Peruvian producer of blueberries
- “We provide remote, in-transit corrective actions to containerized shipments”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Tecnoplant is leader in the nursery sector"Investing in agriculture does involve a few risks, but my brothers and I managed to identify the needs of the professional nursery business and have become a point of reference for agriculture in central-south Sicily," explains Domenico Graci, agronomist and entrepreneur.
Tecnoplant S.S. Vivaio was established in June 1996 and is a family business managed by brothers Paolo, Vincenzo and Domenico Graci (who is also the legal representative).
Above: grafting of a melon plantlet
The company grew quickly in an area where polytunnel and greenhouse cultivation is very popular and is now a leader in the nursery gardening sector in the Licata area.
It holds the GlobalGAP certification and owns around three hectares, 1.6 of which are greenhouses for plantlets.
Above: Domenico Graci in the grafting area
An eye to production
Tecnoplant owns a grafted plant production system and only produces plantlets for the professional sector. It produces around 15 million plantlets every year divided as follows:
• Peppers- 6 millions
• Courgettes - 3.5 millions
• Melons - 2.9 millions, 1.9 of which grafted
• Tomatoes - 2 millions, 400 thousand of which grafted
• Various (cauliflowers, green beans, broccoli, fennel) - 700 thousand
The germination chamber. A Nuenda incubator can be seen in the background (cfr. FreshPlaza del 05/12/2016)
The company is currently making structural investments to improve production activities and grafting in particular.
"We mainly focus on peppers, followed by tomatoes and courgettes. Melons are important too, considering that cantaloupes are very popular in the area. We produce around 1 million plants of the Proteo variety (photo above). It is very popular with Sicilian producers because it performs well from a commercial point of view."
Tecnoplant S.S. Vivaio
C/da Poggio Cuti Rizzo Snc
92027 Licata (AG) - Italia
Tel.: +39 3355841572
Fax: +39 0922 894516
Publication date: 1/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: