- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- The Chiquita blue sticker turns pink for a good cause!
- Colombia: National coconuts cover 80% of domestic demand
- New China-Europe freight train route opened
- Spain: Experts from eight countries analyze fruit preserves market
- Chambers bolsters partner grower network to strengthen year-round berry offering
"Despite the hail storm we managed to grow 310 pieces per m2"
Diego Camacho (left) and Chris Valera (right)
“In 2017 we produced over 310 pieces per m2, even though we lost one ha due to a hail storm. Over 80% of the yield were mediums of 12.5 inches”, says Camacho. “Those are excellent results. For 2018 we will continue with Verdon and we will double the area of cucumbers. Our new goal is to reach 330 pieces per m2.”
Village Farms makes use of so called “GATES greenhouses” in Monahans. They work with a cooling system in the summer and artificial light in the winter. There is an energy screen and a blackout screen in the greenhouse. The high wire crop cycles last 15 weeks, so they grow 3.5 crops per year. In the summer they use 4.2 plants per m2 and in the winter they use 3.1 plants per m2.
“I have been growing cucumbers in Village Farms for over 3 years now, trialing different varieties”, Camacho explains. “The production of Verdon RZ is significantly higher than that of other varieties. It also has a better shelf life and a high tolerance against Cucumber Mosaic Virus (CMV). Verdon has been the best tasting cucumber so far and we have received nothing but positive feedback from our customers.”
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/18/2018 Mushrooms a weapon in fight against global vitamin D shortage
- 10/18/2018 Belgium: "Beef tomatoes are gradually becoming a specialty"
- 10/18/2018 "Tropical storm Leslie does not cause damage to Spanish open field cultivation"
- 10/18/2018 Ukraine: Temperature fluctuations and strong demand push tomato prices up
- 10/18/2018 Asparagus: from Veneto to Australia
- 10/18/2018 Spain: Alcampo introduces floating live lettuce
- 10/18/2018 Despite difficulties, sprouts still thrive in Austria
- 10/18/2018 "Retail price of Chinese carrots increased by around 40%"
- 10/18/2018 China: Ten-year low for garlic price in 2018
- 10/18/2018 US: Riced cauliflower stuffing is there for all low carb enthusiasts
- 10/18/2018 Florence squeezes supplies of eggplant
- 10/18/2018 US: Hot pepper supplies lighter but demand strong
- 10/18/2018 New line of single serving specialty pepper bags
- 10/18/2018 Cancer prevention project gets USDA grant
- 10/17/2018 Mexico starts with butternut squash
- 10/17/2018 The rise of vegan and veggie - 85% more sales compared to last year
- 10/16/2018 From knife and boots to the excitement of the greenhouse
- 10/16/2018 Consistent supply of West Coast spinach
- 10/16/2018 “Short and interesting sweet potato season from the US”
- 10/16/2018 Argentina: 80% of tomatoes from Formosa lost due to Paraguay's blockade