Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Bengal, India: potatoes not very hotDisappointing potato crop prices in 2016-17 have compelled farmers in West Bengal to reduce cultivation this season. In 2016-17, West Bengal reported a 22 percent rise in the production of potatoes —at 1.1 million tonnes— which made the prices drop. At the time of harvesting, prices were as low as 110-120 rupees (1.45-1.58 euros) per 50 kg, or around 2.4 rupees (0.03 euros) a kg.
Cold storages are still holding stock from the previous year. According to thehindubudinessline.com, close to 50.000 tonnes of potatoes still remain in cold storages across West Bengal.
The State government has extended its transport subsidy to January 15 to help farmers clear their stock from cold storages, helping them transport their wares inter-State by road and rail.
Publication date: 1/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: