Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Falling potato prices in Bangladesh:
Cold storage owners get creative
As the price and demand for potatoes in Bangladesh is very low, the owner of a cold storage facility in Thakurgoan has resorted to a novel approach. Potato farmers and traders in Thakurgaon have not been withdrawing their potatoes from cold storage as they find the prices too low.
A Daily Star report claims that the cold storage owners are concerned about this; the rent they charge for the use of cold storages is based on the value of the stored produce itself. Many are also selling the potatoes stored in cold storage at very low prices.
The storage fees are around 300 taka per sack (3.07 euros) which traders allege are less than what the potatoes can be sold for.
To make the best of a bad situation, Abdus Salam Hawlader, owner of Hawlader Cold Storage, started exchanging 60 kg sacks of potatoes from his cold storage for one litre of milk each. He then distributed the milk among destitute people.
The Deputy Director of the Department of Agricultural Extension said there was bumper crop of potato in the country last season, which resulted in the fall in both demand and prices. This year, there was a bumper crop too.
Publication date: 12/15/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: