Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Frosts reduce lettuce production volume in Murcia and AlmeriaThe lettuce production in different areas of Murcia and Almeria (Campo de Cartagena, Lorca, Águilas and Pulpí) has suffered from the impact of frosts during this weekend, as temperatures have fallen below 0 degrees Celsius, according to the directors of production of the companies associated with Proexport.
Besides these adverse weather conditions for leaf vegetables, there has also been a drop in the exports of iceberg lettuce. According to Proexport records, its associated companies have exported 14.36% less in week 47 of the current campaign compared to the previous one.
According to those responsible for the production in the plantations affected, the low temperatures registered, together with some strong wings reaching 40 to 50 km/h, will affect the production in the coming days, causing the plants to dehydrate and lose leaf mass.
In order to maintain the quality standards that help the companies under Proexport stand out, the Technical Department of said association has recommended marketing only good quality products in order to avoid rejections and costly claims.
This weather situation will last for a few more days, as the weather forecast warns that temperatures will remain low in the different producing areas this week (Torre Pacheco 6-8 ºC, Águilas: 7-8 ºC, Lorca: 1-4 ºC and Pulpí 3-6 ºC).
Publication date: 12/6/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: