Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
- "As soon as I saw the Kiwano melon I thought - this is something special"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Jackfruit giant in India's Tumakuru district
A 35 year old jackfruit tree in the Tumakuru district produces a unique variety of jackfruit called "Siddu", with big red flakes that are not only tasty but also have high nutritive value. The owner of the tree can now finally capitalise on the tree.
Farmer S.S. Paramesha is set earn 100.000 rupees (1.300 euros) from this tree over the next year.
Since the owner is unable to multiply this variety, the Indian Institute of Horticultural Research (IIHR) has agreed to multiply it through grafting. The IIHR will sell these saplings and 75% of the proceeds will go to the farmer.
The Hindu News was told that IIHR has already received an order for 10,000 saplings, and sales will commence in two months. The unique tree in question yields very small fruits with an average weight of 2.44 kg, as against the 10-20 kg of normal varieties.
Publication date: 12/6/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: