Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Piet van Liere, FlevoTrade Dronten:
"Market not reacting to major onion exports"You might not think so by looking at the export figures from the last few weeks, but there is very little movement in the onion price. "Prices are falling rather than stabilising", says onion exporter, Piet van Liere of FlevoTrade Dronten in the Netherlands. "Enough onions have left over the past few weeks, but the lower quality is an issue. There is also anxiety in the market about adequate volumes."
"West Africa has, despite the quota, proved to be a good buyer. The question is what will happen next year when all the countries stop buying. I do not think it will be too bad. There are opportunities in other countries like South America, Easter Europe and perhaps Brazil", says Piet.
"Currently, however, we are dealing with this difficult market situation. The onion market remains one of supply and demand. At the moment, it seems we have enough supply to meet the demand. This is especially true for yellow onions. The market for red onions is always a separate market. Here the average sizes are not selling well, while the larger sizes are doing better. Other than this, it is nothing special. "
Publication date: 12/1/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: