Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- WAPA: EU expects biggest apple harvest in 10 years
- Indiana Troopers find 1 million dollars worth of marijuana stashed with lettuce
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Avocados generate 300 million Euro in AndalusiaLa Axarquia in Malaga and the Tropical Coast in Granada are home to 95% of Spain's avocado production, with the remaining 5% supplied by a few farms located on the border between the provinces of Málaga and Cádiz and in eastern Spain.
It is a very profitable crop which generates around 300 million Euro per year for Andalusia, 150 from its own production and the rest from the import from other countries, with the fruit being sold in both the domestic and international markets.
The Andalusian avocado harvest campaign, which started this month with the earliest varieties, is expected to be quite similar to last year's. The National Tropical Association estimates that about 55,000 tonnes will be harvested; a figure that could rise to 60,000 if there are favourable weather conditions.
The acreage devoted to avocados in Andalusia currently stands at 10,000 hectares. The profitable figures recorded by the fruit in recent years have awakened the interest of agricultural producers, who aim to double the production, but the lack of water has slowed those growth prospects down.
75% of Andalusian avocados are exported outside of Spain and sold in 25 countries of the European Union (EU), a market that has been recording an annual growth of 15% and where they sold more than 400,000 tonnes of the precious green fruit last year.
Chile, Israel, Colombia and Mexico are the main competitors for Andalusia in the European market. Particularly noteworthy is the case of Mexico, which this year will significantly increase its exports to Europe, although the demand is so great that this competition will not be a problem either.
In fact, the main Andalusian tropical companies buy dozens of tonnes of Mexican avocados every year, which they then market in Spain and export to other countries.
As far as the domestic market is concerned, demand is also booming and the main food distribution chains are increasingly betting on Andalusian avocados.
Publication date: 11/29/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: