Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: 1 million kilos of Canary bananas to be withdrawn and destroyedThe excessive heat in the months of September and October and the upcoming holidays in the week between 4 and 10 December have motivated Asprocan (the Canary banana producers' organization) to propose their market withdrawal and, therefore, the destruction of 10% of the banana production, which means that around one million kilos will not be marketed.
The measure has been authorised by the Council of Agriculture and part of that volume withdrawn, a very small fraction for now, will go to the Food Bank, to be used for charity purposes.
In 2010, a campaign with a record-breaking volume withdrawn, there was also a withdrawal of fruit in November, which is when Canary bananas usually reach the best prices in its only market outside the islands: the Peninsula. According to the information provided by some banana producers, in weeks close to the current one, the price at origin of the premium quality fruit has reached up to 0.80 Euro per kilo.
According to the producers, the volume in the autumn and winter months tends to amount to around 7 million kilos per week, and now it is close to 10. If such figures remain stable, the withdrawals will probably continue, as well.
Publication date: 11/28/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: