Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: 130 years of Canary tomatoes in a feature-length documentaryA feature-length documentary entitled "La zafra del alisio" ("The harvest of the alisio"), which will be released in the middle of next year, will narrate the more than 130 years of history of Canary tomatoes for export, according to the Cajamar Canarias Foundation, which is collaborating in the production.
Filming is already underway in Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Fuerteventura, since these are the areas with the largest production.
"La zafra del alisio" is a project of Producciones Audiovisuales SL which has the support of Sonimac SL. Both companies belong to the Canary audiovisual sector. The film will be broadcast next year on the Canary Public Television.
In addition to the Cajamar Canarias Foundation, the project has the collaboration of the Coagrisan cooperative of La Aldea de San Nicolás and the Federation of Exporters of Las Palmas, among others.
The history of this crop and its exportation, dating back to 1885, is told in about 60 minutes. The plantations started developing to supply winter tomatoes to the United Kingdom, whose coal ships carried the Canary tomatoes back.
The film also describes all the stages of the crop's cultivation and the different agents involved in it; its agronomic improvements, the viruses and pests that attack it, the climatology, the companies, the organic and sustainable agriculture, the relations with the public administrations and sharecropping and exports.
Moreover, it also addresses socio-economic aspects, the role of working women, the relationship with art and culture and the crop's nutritional values.
Publication date: 11/22/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: