Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
New Zealand avocado industry grows to $200M in 4 years
The New Zealand avocado industry has grown from $70 million value to $200M in four years, says industry leader Tony Ponder.
“The NZ avocado industry has seen unprecedented growth in demand for avocados globally,” Ponder told Rural News.
“Key drivers of this demand are versatility, health benefits and the amazing taste of NZ avocados.”
Ponder is the new chairman of the NZ Avocado Growers Association (NZAGA) and Avocado Industry Council (AIC). He replaces Ashby Whitehead (chair since 2013) and has been on the NZAGA executive and the AIC Ltd board since 2006.
“The industry has experienced strong growth based on a well-developed strategy and I see my role as supporting... that strategy.”
He plans to ensure that NZ Avocado services stay relevant and valuable to all stakeholders - building the capacity and structure of industry governance, maintaining market access and addressing underlying risks to the industry.
Crown investment and the Primary Growth Partnership: NZ Avocado Go Global scheme have been a key to the industry’s “fantastic growth in value right across the supply chain,” says Ponder.
The industry is experiencing year-on-year increase in value, Ponder says, and is “excited about current opportunities in new markets”.
Publication date: 11/28/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: