Job offersmore »
- Agronomist (Certified Crop Advisor) - Fresno (CA), USA
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
British Airways offers to fly Nigerian yams to the UK
The Minister of Agriculture, Audu Ogbeh, has said that British Airways has offered to fly Nigerian yams to the United Kingdom in a bid to sustain the export of the produce.
Ogbeh, who disclosed this during the weekend in a chat with the press in Abuja, insisted that there was no alternative to exportation of agricultural produce as the realities of oil and gas export had made the future very bleak.
He said: “British Airlines just called and said they are willing to fly the yams. You know when they are leaving Nigeria they carry no cargo, it is only when Nigerians are coming back that they overload with hand luggage." So they said the luggage holes can take one or two tons of yams.
“DHL flies cargo planes into Nigeria daily, 747 planes and they go back empty. They have to fill the aircraft with sand bags to balance the weight.
“The argument that yams would be short is not true; 30% of the yams we grow rot away and we are the largest producers of yam in the world. The figure is not mine, it is that of the Food and Agricultural Organisation, FAO."
Publication date: 11/1/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: