Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Germany: Fewer apples in Sachsen
"It is all about the harvest volume here," said Udo Jentzsch, managing director of the State Association of Sachsen Fruit. This year, the farmers in Sachsen are expected to harvest only about two thirds of the usual amount of apples. This is because of the cold spring and frost when the apples were growing. The harvest is expected to be done at the end of October.
"What makes us feel hopeful are the prices," Jentzsch said. The producer prices were about 30 to 40 percent higher than usually this year because in the whole of Germany, only about half of the usual harvest amount was reached. Farmers can get 1.30 to 1.40 euros (1.5 to 1.6 USD) per kilo.
Moreover, the quality of the apples is very good. This summer, it was both cold and sunny which led to a good sweet-sour-ratio and a nice, red peel, Jentzsch explained. And because it was not very warm, the apples were not sunburned either. Temperatures of about 32 degrees Celsius (90 degrees F) are a threat. Apples would become too hot then.
Publication date: 10/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: