Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Florida fruit growers sour over NAFTA as production continues falling
- "Quality for us starts more than 12 months before the crop is even harvested"
- “Give us 1.20 dollar more per box”
- First Colombian Hass avocado shipment makes its way to Port Long Beach, US
- Fruit becoming scarcer in growing world market
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico: Melon annual production decreases
The municipalities of Huacana, Nueva Italia, and Churumuco produce an average of 35,000 tons of melons per year. However, according to the mayor of Huacana, Lino Rosas Paz, this volume decreased this year because of the second winter storm in the territory of Michoacan.
Production decreased by 20 percent last week.
The mayor said that most of the region's melon production was exported to countries like the US and Japan.
39 producers have 250 hectares of melon and 20,000 of the 35,000 tons produced in the area are exported to the United States, Japan, and Canada.
Paz Rosas state that producers were paid 12 pesos per kilo of melon in the national market and 17 pesos for a kilo of melon for export.
This price declined by around 2 pesos because of the lower production.
Publication date: 3/16/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: