Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
South African dump site transformed into a vegetable garden for the needy
Five residents of Pietermaritzburg in South Africa have turned a dump site into a vegetable garden‚ selling and donating vegetables to the community.
Mduduzi Hlongwane‚ 51‚ Nkosingiphile Chule‚ 22‚ Khethiwe Zulu‚ 29‚ Xolile Chule‚ 23 and Sindisile Stephanis‚ 24‚ are the brains behind the garden‚ which has become a much-needed source of food for elderly residents.
Hlongwane said the initiative was prompted by the high rate of unemployment and poverty in the area‚ and the increasing use of drugs by young people.
They grow spinach‚ onions‚ tomatoes‚ carrot‚ beetroot and lettuce.
“Little did we know that the garden would benefit the community. Some buy‚ but we donate most of our veggies to the needy without money. We can’t make them pay R10 for spinach which they don’t have. The elderly come to us or send children to ask and we can’t say no. You can’t refuse when a person is asking for food.”
He said the group had made a small dam and he had spent R1‚500 of his savings on a pump to water the vegetables.
“No one taught us. It was through brainstorming that we came up with that idea‚” said Hlongwane.
“To us this is not just a garden anymore. It has become more of an agricultural course. We have learnt a lot and we are still learning‚” said Nkosingiphile.
Publication date: 9/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: