Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Turkey: Pomegranate campaign begins with more demand than supply
The campaign has begun for Hicaz pomegranates in Turkey. The Hicaz is a typical variety of Turkey and its popularity has seen an increase in recent years. However, their production volume has not grown at the same pace. "There was an increase in production about 8 or 9 years ago, when we all agreed to plant more areas, but since then there have been no changes," said Kerem Baltu of Tumen Tarim.
90% of this fruit is exported to countries of the European Union, where it's demand is increasing. Companies like Tumen Tarim, with an export capacity of 5,000 tons of pomegranate, send their production to countries such as Germany, Italy, England and Iraq, who know that they can count on it from the end of September to the second week of March approximately.
This year, countryside exiting prices are higher. "Last year we started with 0.60 euros a kilo, compared to 0.70 this year," Baltu explains. As a reference, last season closed at 1.20 euros a kilo and "this year we believe that it will close at a higher price due to the demand and higher export costs."
For more information:
Tel.: +90 324 454 0088
Cel.: +90 532 5936970
Publication date: 9/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: