Job offersmore »
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
GhanaVeg begins trials of eight onion varieties
GhanaVeg, an initiative of The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, has commenced trials of eight varieties of onions.
The trial is to ascertain the performance of onion cultivars in two different seasons in three zones of Ghana namely the Northern, Middle and Southern Zones.
The varieties included two known varieties namely Bawku Red, Red Creole and six hybrid varieties made up of Orient, BGS 329, Neptune, Sivan, Prema and Dayo.
Mrs Sheila Assibey-Yeboah, Deputy Programme Leader of GhanaVeg, speaking to stakeholders at a trial field event at Legon, said it was to help find lasting solutions to some prevailing challenges in the onion value chain, since onions were in high demand.
She said large quantities of product are imported into the country from Niger and Burkina Faso on a constant basis, even though there is a huge potential to grow good quality onions in the country.
Mrs Assibey-Yeboah said they will also use the data acquired to advise farmers on the performance of the varieties for them to take decision on their own.
She said currently the trials were ongoing in Tamale, Ashiaman and Keta.
Publication date: 9/15/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: