Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Quality for us starts more than 12 months before the crop is even harvested"
- Fruit becoming scarcer in growing world market
- Florida fruit growers sour over NAFTA as production continues falling
- “Give us 1.20 dollar more per box”
- First Colombian Hass avocado shipment makes its way to Port Long Beach, US
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Apple market to remain quiet for at least 2 months
Apple production is generally good in Girona, where they expect to harvest 79 million kilos, almost the same volume as a year ago, with a slight 2% drop.
"The market is quiet at the moment and there is still stock from the previous campaign, which we expect to be sold out in about two months. The prices of the apples sold to large distributors are similar to those recorded in the same dates last season," explain sources of the PGI Poma de Girona.
The lowest prices are paid for Golden apples, and given that it is a campaign with lower yields, producers are not expected to make much of a profit from this variety.
It is still early to know how the market will react, because the apples of Italy and France have yet to be harvested. "It remains to be seen how the frosts have affected their quality," they point out.
"The production will be somewhat higher than expected in the case of the Gala variety, since the weather conditions have been good, except for some occasional frost. For the Golden variety, prospects point to a reduction, with more medium and small calibres. The American red apple harvest will be more normal, as will be those of the Granny Smith and Fuji, with great quality and good calibres." In any case, the quality of the Pink Lady stands out the most, "and with barely any losses."
"We have hardly faced any problems and hail has not been harmful, as more than 70% of the production is protected by anti-hail meshes," they affirm.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: