Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ontario greenhouse grower expands berry productionTapping into consumers’ increasing interest in locally grown food, Kingsville, Ont.-based DelFrescoPure® is expanding its greenhouse strawberry production by 10 acres.
“We’ll be in full production by November,” says DelFrescoPure’s Ray Mastronardi. “The local demand for the greenhouse berries is strong. With the push of locally grown produce, we feel the strawberries will be a local favorite.” The greenhouse addition helps the company extend the popular Ontario strawberry field growing season, which runs approximately from May to June.
The berries, branded under YES!Berries Your Everyday Snack!™, are greenhouse-grown in a controlled micro-climate that allows the company to grow a uniform product at a larger harvest size. Technology in the new environment includes additions such as energy curtains and grow lights in the half million square foot space. DelFrescoPure® is also using recycled growing medium and feeding its plants with nutrient-enriched water which helps minimize environmental waste.
Mastronardi notes that the berries will be sold in 12 oz., 1 lb. and 2 lb. clamshell top-seal packs, though it’s also exploring snack-size options as well and pricing depends as always on demand and supply.
For now though, the company is in its ramp-up phase. “The biggest challenge we have incurred is we sell out quickly and the demand is high,” says Mastronardi.
For more information:
Del Fresco Produce
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: