Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
USDA integrates recall information into ‘FoodKeeper’ appThe Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced new updates to its FoodKeeper application that will provide users with new access to information on food safety recalls. The app has been updated so users can choose to receive automatic notifications when food safety recalls are announced by USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and the Department of Health and Human Service’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Recalls immediately, daily or weekly
In the update posted to the Google Play and iTunes stores, users can select to receive information on food safety recalls immediately when they’re announced, or select to receive them daily or weekly. The update also adds instructional videos on proper handling and storage of food to the app, and expands the list of food and beverage products with storage guidance from about 400 to more than 500 items.
The FoodKeeper app was developed by FSIS in partnership with Cornell University and the Food Marketing Institute, as a tool to help reduce food waste and improve public health by sharing storage methods that extend the shelf life of the foods and beverages in American homes. It now offers specific storage timelines for the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, for more than 500 products, including various types of baby food, dairy products and eggs, meat, poultry, produce, seafood and more. Since it was launched in April 2015, it has been downloaded nearly 150,000 times.
With the FoodKeeper application, each user can:
- Find specific storage timelines for the refrigerator, freezer and pantry, depending on the nature of the product;
- Learn cooking tips and methods for various types of meat, poultry and seafood products;
- Note in their device's calendar when products were purchased and receive notifications when they are nearing the end of their recommended storage date;
- Submit a question to USDA using the 'Ask Karen' feature of the application. 'Ask Karen' is USDA's 24/7 virtual representative. The system provides information about preventing foodborne illness, safe food handling and storage, and safe preparation of meat, poultry, and egg products; and ...
- Submit items not included in the database for consideration in future updates.
- Receive information on food safety recalls immediately when they’re announced or select to receive them daily or weekly.
Publication date: 9/5/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: