Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Oregon hazelnut yields predicted to be 18% lower this yearOregon will produce 18 percent fewer hazelnuts this year than it did last year, federal agricultural officials predicted, based on an analysis of field and lab testing.
The experts say the state will produce 36,000 tons of hazelnuts this year, The Register-Guard reported Thursday. The state produced 44,000 tons last year.
"There are so many variables that it's difficult to come up with this number every year," said Polly Owen, director of the Oregon Hazelnut Industry Office. "For us, it's more of a guideline."
Garry Rodakowski, chairman of the Oregon Hazelnut Commission, said he wasn't too surprised by this year's forecast of a smaller crop.
"As I look at my orchard out of the tractor window, I can see the effects of eastern filbert blight, and my trees won't produce as much as they used to because I'm having to prune that blight out," Rodakowski said in reference to a deadly fungus that has hit some of his hazelnut, or filbert, trees.
Oregon produces 99 percent of the U.S. hazelnut crop, but only about 5 percent of the world crop, according to the Oregon Hazelnut Industry Office. Hazelnut prices are determined by the world market, which is dominated by Turkey.
Publication date: 8/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: