Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
High demand for Dominican long beans in EuropeAngelica Silva is the owner of the company V&D Agropecuaria in the Dominican Republic and ships a wide range of tropical, greenhouse, and Asian fruits and vegetables.
She is particularly proud of the 4.5MT of long beans her company ships every week via air freight to Holland. Angelica says “long beans are a “hot” product because of a high respiration rate. We Dominican exporters have an advantage over competing countries in the region because of a large number of direct flights with Europe during the winter tourism season that we can use to ship our product and deliver it fresher and with a longer shelf life.”
She says that in winter months she cannot meet the high European demand and it keeps growing.
Long beans (Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedlis) are consumed by ethnic markets of Surinamese, West Indians, Indians, Filipino, and Malaysians. However, mainstream consumers are also discovering that long beans can easily substitute for green beans and long beans are actually better for stir fry recipes. There are three different types of long beans: Surinam, green, and white. The Surinam variety is shipped in 30 pound boxes while 35 pound boxes are used for the green and white varieties.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture funded Exporting Quality program is helping exporters such as Angelica design a new air freight box that takes into account the high respiration rates of long beans to ensure proper ventilation and shelf life.
For more information:
Tel: +1 809 754-4321
Publication date: 8/16/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: