Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
New German programme to tackle food wasteEntrepreneur Raphael Fellmer, co-founder of Foodsharing.de, a group dedicated to using food that would otherwise be thrown out, has launched SirPlus, a new programme developed to tackle food waste, according to the Bundesministerium für Ernährung und Landwirtschaft, Germany’s federal agency for food and agriculture.
The start-up was developed by Fellmer with the help of two friends, and plans to sell food that does not comply with bigger retailers’ standards. The food is collected from farmers and producers, as well as wholesalers and retailers.
At a food outlet in the city of Berlin, consumers can now buy surplus, expired and deformed groceries for up to 70% less than the price at usual stores.
In addition to the store in Berlin, SirPlus has also launched an online shop, where the saved groceries can be ordered and delivered to consumers throughout Germany. In a crowd funding campaign, SirPlus raised over €50,000 in three weeks, reaching its first funding target.
“We are thankful that our innovative concept was received this well and that it appeals to our partners, the consumers and the media,” said Fellmer.
Source: European Supermarket Magazine
Publication date: 8/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: