Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Bananas used to smuggle money into South African prison
Three men were arrested after they allegedly tried to smuggle R600 into the Barberton Maximum Correctional Centre using bananas, the Department of Correctional Services said on Monday.
The three brothers were visiting a relative inside the facility on Saturday when a fruit basket filled with bananas and apples was spotted, spokesperson Mesia Hlungwani said in a statement.
The basket, intended for an inmate, was searched by officials when the money was found stashed in the bananas which were slightly cut open.
"From a distance, it looked like normal bananas but ... there was money hidden inside each banana," Hlungwani said.
The bananas which contained the money were placed underneath other bananas to appear inconspicuous.
Hlungwani said the arrests are a breakthrough in reducing smuggling in correctional centres.
"We warned the public about this before and we promised that those who smuggle in will face the mighty hand of the law. When we say zero tolerance to smugglers, we mean business," Hlungwani said.
Publication date: 8/8/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: